Impounded Vehicles

If your vehicle is being stored on our premises, we will gladly help you recover it as quickly as possible. Please note the following instructions and read our “Frequently Asked Questions” page for further information to ensure you are prepared so your time is not wasted.

Instructions to Recover Your  Police Impounded Vehicle

1. Come to our office in Corona, Ca.  during office hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (You may pick up property or vehicle after hours, but a “After Hours Fee” will be charged.  This also applies to holidays and weekends).

2. Bring the following paperwork:

– Proof of Ownership (Any of the following: Current registration, Title with your name printed on front, Current DMV printout, or rental vehicle contract – if a rental).

– Photo Identification (Drivers license, Sheriff’s cards, INS-issued Temporary Alien Cards, Student ID).

– A Police department release form if your car has a hold.(If your vehicle was towed by a law enforcement agency you will need a release from them first)

3. Provide full payment (Cash, Visa or MasterCard. No checks can be accepted).

Instructions for Recovering your Private Property Impounded Vehicle

1. Items 1-3 above are all required with the exception of a “Police Release” form as this is not applicable in this scenario.

2. Another difference is we will release the vehicle to a NON-Registered owner provided they are in possession of the keys and MUST be listed on the vehicle insurance card as the insured or as a additional driver.

3. If the vehicle is a Rental Car, the individual claiming the vehicle MUST be on the Rental Agreement with ID and keys present upon vehicle release.

Instructions to Retrieve Property from a Vehicle

We will only release property from a vehicle to the registered owner. There are no exceptions to this rule. You must be able to show a valid ID and proof of current registration in your name to claim any property.

If the vehicle has a police hold, you must obtain a “property release” from the appropriate police department.

Please note that nothing attached to the vehicle by any means will be released.

Some items that may be released: Some items that will NOT be released:
– Clothing – Stereos
– CD’s or Tapes – Speakers
– Papers – Amplifiers
– Medications – Battery
– Purse or Backpack – Wheels
– Etc. – Etc.

Frequently Asked Questions for Impounded Vehicles

Q: Does it matter how long I leave my vehicle at Hamner Towing?

Yes. Fees are assessed daily. To minimize your costs, pick-up your vehicle as soon as possible. Furthermore, after a set period of time (approximately 45 days depending on the value of the vehicle), it becomes at risk of being sold at lien sale.  Contact our office for the specific timeline for your vehicle.

Q: What happens if I don’t retrieve my vehicle in time?

If you are unable to pick up your vehicle within the set time before the lien sale ends, you have two options:

Option 1

You can do nothing and leave your vehicle. We will attempt to sell it and recover the towing and storage fees. If the vehicle does not sell, or the sale price does not cover the fees, we will begin collection proceedings to recover the remaining balance from the last know registered owner based upon DMV records.

Option 2

We understand that sometimes people are in a difficult financial situation and may not have the means to be able to claim their vehicle. In this situation, we offer an “amnesty” for the vehicle. This works by you paying us for the towing charge, storage till that point (dependent upon scrap value of your vehicle in offsetting our fees), and the lien fees if over three days in our possession (this covers our costs). We keep the vehicle and do not proceed with the collection process. For anyone interested in protecting their credit, we strongly suggest this option. The sooner you inquire about this program the better before your expenses escalate too much.  Ideally, you want to make contact with us to discuss this option within 5 days of the vehicle being impounded.

Note: If you do not choose to participate in the “amnesty” program before the vehicle clears lien, we cannot not offer it to you later. Once the vehicle account is with the collections agency, we no longer have the right to negotiate.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our office, we are happy to answer any questions you may have.

Q: What if I’m not the vehicle’s registered owner?

If you are not the registered owner, you must have the registered owner come into our office with you to handle the transaction.  We must ensure we are dealing with the rightful owner to eliminate any liability.  Think about it.  We are constantly amazed how many people can’t understand this position from our point of view and become irritated about the situation and are quick to blame us for something we did not cause.

Q: Why is a photo ID necessary and why do you make a copy upon release?

We need to know who we are working with.  The customers verbal indication of who they are is simply not good enough when we are dealing with valuable assets and property such as a vehicle and what people tend to keep in their cars.  Please understand that we are not trying to make this process any more difficult.  We simply have to ensure we are releasing the vehicle to the correct individual.  And must collect a paper trail of the transaction process to protect ourselves.

Q: What is a PD Release form?  Why is it necessary?

If your vehicle was impounded at the direction of law enforcement, it is likely a PD Release is required.  For example, EVERY Corona PD Impound requires a release from them prior to us releasing the vehicle to the registered or legal owner.  In many cases, there is a separate fee payable to the corresponding police agency as well.  This fee has NOTHING to do with our Towing and Storage fees whatsoever.  The Release is necessary to prove to us that law enforcement is satisfied the reason for impoundment has been corrected and we are then authorized to release the vehicle back to the rightful individual or entity upon payment of our fees.